Skip to content

Making Lunch

January 10, 2012

Once upon a time, I really enjoyed the planning and making of Simon’s lunch each day, and took great care in the presentation. It was always one of the tasks that I looked forward to doing while he was napping. Over the holiday months, I fell out of my daily routine, and when Simon would wake from his nap I would end up hastily throwing something together last-minute. I still managed to pull off nutrition, but I stopped offering variety and toddler-friendly presentation.

Since I want to encourage him to develop a good relationship with food, I believe slowing down and taking more time to make a meal, as well as to make it look good to him is important. By doing this while he is sleeping I am not pressured by his post-nap hunger to just grab whatever is easiest, and am more likely to offer up things that are new for him to try as well.

So, I have made a conscious effort to start making more fun meals for my little guy at lunch time again. In doing this, I have rediscovered how much I like doing so, and have found more motivation for planning our family dinner, too. (Which I desperately needed!)

Here is one lunch I made this week:

Organic tri-colored tortellini’s with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, some slices of star fruit, and a piece of Wasa bread with a tad of yogurt butter spread on it. I already knew Simon loved the pasta, but he had never tried star fruit before. I also knew he doesn’t like his Wasa plain, so I used the little bit of yogurt butter to bribe him. I had the same lunch that he did, and I noticed he was encouraged to try bites of each thing when he saw me do so. (Toddlers really like to emulate big people!)

He loved his lunch, especially the star fruit! I had a sense of motherly pride that he had tried a new fruit, and that I had made him a balanced lunch. I am also so happy to be getting out of the “Oh-goodness-what-to-feed-the-child?” slump that I was trapped in.

About these ads
10 Comments leave one →
  1. January 10, 2012 11:53 pm

I love the idea of slowing down to cook and eat.

Enjoy every moment!

• January 11, 2012 10:44 am

I am always trying to engage in “mindful eating”. It is definitely something I struggle with though, especially when crunched for time!

2. January 10, 2012 11:56 pm

This is very encouraging. My daughter still takes her meals in the liquid form. But I enjoy reading about some of the perks when she graduates to more solid food.
    Thanks!

• January 11, 2012 10:43 am

Starting solid food is such an adventure! Enjoy the tiny phase though, it will be over in the blink of an eye!

3. January 11, 2012 12:07 am

Thank you so much for your inspiration to offer a healthy, appealing, and interesting selection of food to your toddler. I am very conscious of the meals prepared for my husband and myself, but struggle daily with what to feed my picky toddler. Perhaps I need to slow down and enjoy lunch with him, focusing more on setting a good example instead of getting the dishes done!

• January 11, 2012 10:43 am

I try to prioritize dishes as low on my list, even though it is hard to when they pile up! I have discovered that after Simon is in bed, I can grab my ipod, crank up some Lady Gaga, and get the dishes done then, allowing me more time for more kid-oriented tasks when he is awake.

4. January 11, 2012 5:53 am

I wish I had the time to do this! Way to go, mama!

5. January 11, 2012 1:03 pm

I loved eating starfruit when I was little too! They are so pretty. You are a wonderful lunch making mama!

6. January 12, 2012 3:00 pm

What a great Mumma you are! I think you are right about presentation – it makes a difference!

• January 16, 2012 1:42 pm

It really does…I know my little guy values the way his food looks. From what I hear, most toddlers do!