Skip to content

Dirt!

April 11, 2012

Yesterday, Simon and I got outside for some good, dirty fun. He brought his shovel, which is one of his very favorite things, and which did not get much use in the winter due to the lack of snow. As our time outside went on, my little guy became less and less concerned about getting messy, and eventually became totally covered in dirt. I joined in the fun, gathering little rocks, helping him dig deeper and make piles of dirt, and showing him how to make sticks stand up in the piles.

There has been a lot of articles circulating the web lately about the benefits of playing in the dirt for kids. Here are a few you might want to read:

Babies Know: A Little Dirt Is Good for You  (New York Times)

Let Your Kids Get Dirty! (Simple Mom)

Dirt: It’s Good for Kids! (Peaceful Parenting)

I am looking forward to our next dirt adventure. Perhaps next time we will bring a dump truck? A rock sifter? Some dishes and water for making mudpies? Or maybe we will go to the ocean and play in the sand? Playing in the dirt is indeed good for the immune system, but I think it is also beneficial for our souls, to get our hands dirty and dig into the earth.

About these ads
15 Comments leave one →
  1. abozza permalink
    April 11, 2012 1:29 pm

A “dirt”-y kid is a kid who has played well. :)

2. April 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Great post – and I love your son’s top, it’s so cool!

• April 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks! It was his Halloween costume this past October. I stitched the felt triangles onto a hoodie.

3. hipsta mama permalink
    April 11, 2012 6:54 pm

i always played in the dirt as a kid. must be why i have such a strong constitution! :)

• April 12, 2012 9:03 am

I did too! I remember I once decided to dig to China, and got in huge trouble for amking a crater in the backyard.

• hipsta mama permalink
        April 12, 2012 9:27 am

OMG, I did the EXACT same thing. My dad got really mad when he tripped on it. hahahahaha

• April 12, 2012 11:11 am

lol!

4. April 11, 2012 10:11 pm

We have that same hoodie and I was wondering why I hadn’t seen this version. K, I’m all good now. Beckett likes to pick up wads of dirt and whip them over the fence at the neighbor’s dog, because he thinks the dog will want to eat it.

• April 12, 2012 9:00 am

Hahaha, that is cute!

Yeah at Halloween time I was torn between this blue and green one and adding dinosaur spikes, or the orange and yellow one and adding a lion’s mane. Simon liked dinosaurs just a little bit more. We also have a tail that velcros onto a piece of velcro sewn in the bottom hem.

5. April 12, 2012 9:23 am

love his big red shovel! =)

i’ve just tagged you in a post, do check it out when you have the time, but no obligations though =) http://teamcleo.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/tag/

6. April 12, 2012 11:44 am

omg Dirt! how I’ve loved it in my boy-hood! There were seldom any toys much better than plain ol’ dirt!

• April 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Dirt, sticks, empty boxes, rocks…who needs the toystore!?

• April 12, 2012 1:06 pm

its nice to see someone who appreciates the simple things that makes a boy’s life..

• April 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Or a little girl’s! Those were some of the best things when I was a kid too!