Skip to content

February 28, 2013

salt tray-4
salt tray-2
salt tray-1
flashcards-upper case
flash cards-lower case
The other night I put together this salt tray and set of alphabet cards set for Simon. He has been into learning about letters lately, and loves to trace things. Also, anytime he gets to do sensory play is exciting for him.

There are so many different, awesome ways to make salt trays and to play with them, but the one that inspired me was from this great Montessori site. I re-purposed a wooden tray that came from a Melissa and Doug lacing card toy that Simon got for Christmas. The cards, I made by cutting up pieces of various thick watercolor paper that I had on hand. I made all the cards the same size, just right for inserting into the small compartment on the wooden tray. I painted all of the letters of the alphabet in capital on one side, and lower case on the back.

In addition to working on making letters, Simon also likes to use the tray to draw pictures. Sometimes he asks for a q-tip to do this. He really likes running his hands through the roughly textured salt, and making little piles in the tray too. As for the alphabet cards, we have spread those out in a line on the floor, and sung our ABC’s as we walked along, stepping  and jumping in front of each letter.

There are so many possibilities, and we are having lots of fun with these. :)

About these ads
32 Comments leave one →
  1. February 28, 2013 2:56 pm

What a great idea! I’m going to pin this! I love your painted letters, too =)

2. February 28, 2013 2:56 pm

What a fun way to learn letters and practice writing them!

• March 1, 2013 10:48 am

I know, I am jealous! I wish I had one when I was little. :) That is one of the fun parts about being a Mom, is living vicariously through your kids and coming up with fun things for them.

3. Trisha permalink
    February 28, 2013 8:02 pm

looks so, so awesome Krista!

4. March 1, 2013 9:09 am

Hi! I saw this on Pinterest this morning and had to stop over. I used to use rice to teach my kids but I love your salt tray even better! And your letters are so pretty in watercolor. I pinned it to a mega DIY board, so hopefully you will have some nice traffic coming your way!
    All my best ~ KIM

5. Ann permalink
    March 1, 2013 1:56 pm

Krista, this is brilliant – I love it and will definitely be making one – thanks!!!

6. March 3, 2013 12:37 am

That looks so inviting with the watercolor letters and wooden tray! Thanks so much for linking to my post! :)

7. Larissa permalink
    March 13, 2013 7:55 am

Adorei! Vou fazer pra minha filha também! Obrigada!

8. Kellie permalink
    March 14, 2013 9:27 am

love the painted letters!! thanks!

9. March 14, 2013 9:58 am

I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your project! You can see it here:

If you have other kid friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

10. March 18, 2013 1:07 pm

I adore this! The Melissa and Doug boxes are full of so much potential and you’ve found the perfect use for them. And your watercolor letters are gorgeous! Not to mention the brilliance of drawing upper and lowercase letters on them.

11. March 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Hi! Can I use your photo and link to your blog on my new blog called DIY Dyslexia: Help for Parents of Dyslexic Children? I want to write a blog post about tracing letters and learning the sounds the letters make. You can check out my blog at http://www.diydyslexia.blogspot.com and let me know about this. Thanks!

• March 18, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi! You may definitely share my post on your blog, and you can use the photo as long as it links back here and credit me for the photo. I hope my idea is helpful to the parents who come to your blog! Also, check out the version that inspired me, I linked to it in my post. :)

12. Amber permalink
    June 8, 2013 12:06 pm

Pinned this the other day & came back today to read the actual post. DD JUST received the same M&D lacing set yesterday and I was trying to figure out what we were going to repurpose the box for…now I know!!

My only question is….can you give an approximate size of your cards? Thanks so much for the fantastic idea!!

13. June 13, 2013 5:11 pm

What kind of watercolors did you use? Those are some beautifully vibrant colors!

14. December 3, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi Krista! Love your salt idea :). Would it be OK to post the “F” picture on Schoolfy.com’s Facebook page? Our fans would love it and we always link to the original. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schoolfy/469265219815396 Thanks!

• December 4, 2013 3:46 pm

Yes! Thanks for asking. As long as you link to the blog as the source, I do not mind. :)

• December 4, 2013 6:07 pm

Alright, it’ll be up today. Thanks for sharing your work!

Trackbacks

1. DIY Salt Tray and Alphabet Cards : Teach.Learn.Imagine.
  2. 30 Fun Multisensory Writing Activities! -Mama OT